The Most Potent CBD Oil Products in Today's Market
BY PAIGE, JAN 6, 2018 2:00 PM
Updated for 2018.
One of the first CBD products to hit the market was a 1oz dropper bottle with 100 milligrams of CBD. That was back in 2013, so let's see how much has changed.
Some hemp brands still fall in that original range, while others have skyrocketed to unbelievable strengths.
This is incredible for those who need 25, 50, or even 100mg of CBD per day. Recognizing this growing need for stronger CBD oil, these CBD companies were able to lower the cost of CBD by a significant amount, because they're now buying in larger bulk from farmers. Or, in some cases, growing their own high-CBD hemp oil.
If you've been taking CBD since 2013 or 2014, you already know pricing has gone down significantly. Prices will plunge even further once companies can use U.S. grown hemp oil (currently illegal in most states) instead of expensive imported European hemp oil.
Alright, let's round up the most potent CBD oil products you can order online today.
Entourage WholeFlower Hemp Oil
Entourage is a Colorado-based company specializing in full-spectrum hemp oil products.
Cannabis, including hemp, contains chemical compounds called cannabinoids. While some people only look for CBD, as it's the most common in hemp, research has shown that having a diverse combination of cannabinoids working together is more powerful than just one. It's called the entourage effect.
The Good Stuff:
- With Entourage WholeFlower Hemp Oil, you're getting a huge array of cannabinoids, although CBD makes up the largest percentage. This may include CBD, CBDA, CBG, CBGA, CBN, CBNA, CBC, CBCA, CBDV, CBDVA, CBLA, or other trace cannabinoids. Of course, there's 0.3% or less THC.
- Entourage WholeFlower comes in a little 4.6ml vial with a dropper top. That's really tiny, which means you don't need to take very much. The suggested serving size is 1 dropper full; if you follow that, you'll get 20 servings from it.
- You can get either 500mg or 1,000mg of cannabinoids per container. Both options come in a 4.6ml bottle.
The Bad Stuff:
- The only down-side we can think of is the size of the product. If you're following the suggested serving size, it'll be gone in 20 days. It would be nice if they offered a larger bottle.
Endoca Hemp Oil
Endoca has a location in California, however, they're mainly out of Europe. This gives them an advantage when it comes to sourcing their hemp oil, and they certainly make it top priority to be organic, GMO and pesticide free.
- Raw means there's a combination of CBD and CBDA.
- Decarboxylated means the hemp oil has gone through a controlled heating process, which turned all of the CBDA into CBD. So there's only CBD, no CBDA, in the decarb version.
Alternate Vape Pre-Filled Cartridge
Alternate Vape is a Michigan-based company that has consistently kept up with the market since its initial release. They've come a long ways in recent months, including a massive change to an all-natural formulation and a 41x boost to potency. Wowzer.
The Good Stuff:
- Alternate Vape uses coconut oil as its base, instead of the industry standard: propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin, which aren't great for your health. It's nice to see them take this leap, whereas huge companies like Charlotte's Web have stuck with PG/VG.
- What does "natural flavors" even mean? Thankfully, with AV you won't see that in the ingredient list. Their flavors come from natural plant terpenes, which are compounds that make up the aroma and flavor of essential oils.
Terpenes are found in just about all plants and fruits, and they're packed with their very own wellness benefits that make them the perfect ingredient to add to any CBD oil supplement.
We should mention that the flavors aren't amazing (mint is probably the best) but they're fine, and knowing the taste is coming from plant terpenes is kind of neat.
- This pre-filled 1ml cartridge has 250mg CBD. While most CBD products have "0.3% or less THC," Alternate Vape has none. And they have the lab results to prove it.
- Vaping is a relaxing act. You're essentially taking deep breaths in and out like you would in a meditation or yoga session, so maybe there's more than one reason CBD vape oil for anxiety is popular.
The Bad Stuff:
- Since Alternate Vape CBD oil is made with fractionated coconut oil, it burns if it gets too hot. This isn't an issue if you follow their directions of vaping intermittently, but if you're anything like us...when you pick up your vaporizer, you tend to absently take long or frequent puffs. More than likely, you're going to end up with a hint of a burnt taste after a while. However, as long as effectiveness is more important to you than flavor, you can probably look past this.
- Alternate Vape is made with an isolated form of CBD, meaning there aren't any other cannabinoids (i.e. CBDa, CBG, CBN), so it's not a full-spectrum product. Because of that, we've heard some mixed reviews on efficacy. It seems as though people vaping CBD for anxiety or certain inflammatory issues really like Alternate Vape, but others don't find it as beneficial as a full-spectrum product.
Proprietary Hemp Extract: Gold Label
PHE is manufactured (well, packaged) by a company in Michigan, using European hemp oil. There are three versions (Green, Blue, Gold). The Gold is unique because the hemp oil is decarboxylated and filtered to remove excess plant parts, so it has more CBD by volume.
The Good Stuff:
- There's 25~27% CBD in the Gold Label, which is equivalent to 250~270 milligrams of CBD per gram. You can get a 1 gram, 3 gram, or 10 gram size tube. The actual amount of CBD in each harvest can vary, but it's always in that 25-27% range. We've even seen it go a little higher than that. To keep packaging costs low for consumers, they label it with this range, however there's always a lab test available if you're curious to see the exact potency of your batch.
- A little drop, about the size of a grain of rice, is considered to be one serving. You'll get about 30 of servings in the 1g tube, 90 in the 3g, or 300 in the 10g. There's 8mg CBD per serving.
- No other ingredients are added to this product, it's 100% hemp oil.
The Bad Stuff:
- Pure CBD oil concentrates can be hard to use, especially when you first start. You need to be precise so you don't dispense too much at a time, because you can't exactly put it back into the tube. You'll get the hang if it over time.
- Does. Not. Taste. Good. The Gold Label of Proprietary Hemp Extract is by far the worst tasting hemp product we've tried. It tastes like grass with a spicy bite. If you take it strategically (under the tongue, wait 1-2 mins, then swig some juice), you won't really taste it too much. If this is a deal-breaker for you —hold on. You can vape it in a wax vaporizer and it's pretty much tasteless.
Is there a #1 winner...?
If you're looking to buy the most potent CBD oil, hands-down, the winner is Entourage WholeFlower. But as we're all too aware of, everyone is different. While Entourage is the strongest in this list, it doesn't win in all the categories that are equally as important to note.
The best selling CBD oil in this list is a tie between Endoca and Alternate Vape.
The best reviewed CBD oil is the Gold Label. By "reviewed," we mean feedback that we've received through customer emails and testimonials.
The best rated CBD product has to be the Gold Label. If the taste is too potent for you, try vaping it in a wax vaporizer, like the G Slim.
What CBD product have you had the best experience with? How much do you take?